Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Welcome

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cuba


Trish Thompson and Karolein Verheyen

I left for Cuba on the 1st of April 2007. The flight took me from Kerry to Dublin, then Dublin to Paris and Paris to Havana. I had very little Spanish and was going to be in Cuba for one month.

I wanted to make a photographic reportage on Afro Cuban music, exchange information with the musicians and also network and promote their work in an exhibition at the Samhlaiocht Gallery in July 2007.

At the same time I wanted to improve my own skills and techniques on bongos, conga shakers, clave and guiro and make new friends.

So I brought my bongos, digital and compact cameras, flash, digital voice recorder, lots of euros and lots of spirit.

My trip brought me from Havana to Santa Clara, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Sancti Spiritus, Camaguey, Holguin, Santiago de Cuba, back to Santa Clara and Havana.

It was a worthwhile experience - heaps of music, visual arts, theatre, dance, film, poetry, long bus journeys, interesting people, ancient cars, bicycles, taxis, rum and cigars and so much politics...

The results of my hard work can be seen in the exhibition - photographs on music and musicians, a short film/slide show with music recorded live in Cuba and a mural with information on Cuban artists gathered while in Cuba.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

BROWSER STANDARDS ALERT:
Because you are using an outdated browser, you may only view the basic content of this site. In order to view, use, and enjoy this site to the fullest, we strongly recommend upgrading your browser to one that supports web standards such as Mozilla, Netscape 7, Explorer 6 or Safari. Thank you.