Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Welcome

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Gitti



Gitti Maas was born in Duisburg in Germany far from the place she now calls home Eskadour in Lauragh on the Beara Peninsula, half way between Kenmare and Castletownberehaven. But she came to Beara as a tourist twenty years ago on the recommendation of a very good friend and fell in love with the peninsula instantly for its amazing landscape.

"After 10 years of coming to Beara for holidays once a year, the wish to live near the mountains and the sea had grown bigger than the fear of leaving my home country and my friends," explains Gitti and so in 1996 she moved to Ireland for good.

She is an artist that is clearly inspired by nature and by the beautiful geography of her adopted home land.
Concentrating originally on landscape photography the years have seen her work take a decidedly abstract turn focusing on the shapes, textures, colours and light-effects to be found in Nature and capturing these in macro close-up photography.

"It just happened that way. I find it much more fulfilling to work more abstract. It has to do with the fact that I always felt a shot of a landscape can hardly ever do Nature any justice. The 'real thing' is just always better, more beautiful and complete," says Gitti. "Apart from that I come across a lot of abstract art through my work as a picture framer, which has influenced my work as a photographer. Most artists on the Beara Peninsula are very inspired by the ever changing light, the colours of the sky and sea and the structure of the rock. They try to bring their inspiration into their abstract paintings, and the results can be very beautiful. As I am not a painter, I have to use the camera to express my love for Nature."

Having now lived in Kerry for 10 years, Gitti believes there is a positive change in people's awareness of Visual Arts, and a growing enjoyment of it. She has noticed the increase in the numbers of people that enjoy going to art exhibitions as well as going to art classes.

So I wonder if she ever gets home sick.

"No!" she answers emphatically. "I love how and where I live, and I have quite a few close friends here now. As well my partner is very rooted here - so going back to Germany is not what I want to do. I never missed it. On the contrary - whenever I go back to Germany for short visits, I start feeling homesick for Ireland after a few days!"

For more information please log onto www.gittimaas.com or call 086 401 0738

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

BROWSER STANDARDS ALERT:
Because you are using an outdated browser, you may only view the basic content of this site. In order to view, use, and enjoy this site to the fullest, we strongly recommend upgrading your browser to one that supports web standards such as Mozilla, Netscape 7, Explorer 6 or Safari. Thank you.