Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Welcome

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Ian Whitty


Ian Whitty

Ian Whitty is a singer-songwriter from Killarney, now based in Cork and recording his second album. Here he answers some questions about his past, present and future as a musician.

Were you always into music?

I've always loved songs. When I was younger I would play my parents records to death. As soon as I was allowed into town on my own I would make a weekly visit to the record shop to buy chart singles. At the age of eight my Ma brought me to see U2, The Pretenders and Christy Moore in Croke Park and after that I think I was officially hooked.

Tell me about your musical development

When I was fifteen my brother got a guitar and whenever he went out I would slip into his room and play it. I never really wanted to learn songs. I would just come up with my own little tunes and sing whatever came into my head. After that I bought my own guitar and started a band with a couple of friends. At rehearsals we used to sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. It was more like a self-help group for disenfranchised youth than a musical endeavour.

So when did you start seriously writing songs?

When I went to college I started writing songs proper and wanting to perform them. Then a songwriter night in Killarney called Surface started up. I met a lot of great musicians though that. I did my first gig there with Paddy Casey and a local songwriter Colm O'Suilleabháin. Later I moved to Cork to do Music Management and Sound. It was there that I really started to develop my own slant on things and I suppose I have been exploring it ever since.

Favourite singer/songwriter?

This changes from week to week. I don't know if I have a favourite as such. Right now I am listening to Mirah who is a Washington-based indie/folk singer.

What do you think of Killarney?

I think Killarney was a great place to grow up. Since we moved to Kerry my family have always lived in Muckross so I consider that whole area home as such. It's an incredibly beautiful part of the world.

Do you come home much?

About once every month or so to visit my family and see my friends.

How do you like Cork?

I love the city. The music scene here is amazing at the moment.

What do you think of the current state of the Irish music scene?

I think it's really healthy. Everyone seems to be working really hard. If Cork is anything to go by then I think the band scene is about to get really exciting.

How did your first album 'Will o' the Wisp' do?

'Will o' the Wisp' was recorded with indie producer Steve Fanagan. All the songs have a nice quiet tone. I was really enthused by the reaction given that it was released without any fanfare at all. It has done much better than I expected and led to me being invited on some really nice tours.

What subjects do you write about?

This new record is about city life and all the positives and negatives that go with it. I tend to write about any sort of changes or transitions that happen to me. Songs are weird though, you can't really plan for them, they just tend to come along and want to get written. They tend to get cross if you ignore them.

Give me a few lines from some of your songs

"She said this town it swallows people, you see them talking to themselves,
And as a little consolation they'll take any medication that will
bring them some place else" (Bought and Sold)

"The manager he swoops he's a dare devil doing hoops and there is
cocaine wisdom in his eyes, modern cowboy no lasso but still tells
Tonto what to do" (Fallen Stars in Late Nite Bars)

So tell me about your new album

I have been recording the album since last Autumn with my band and producer Ken Mc Hugh who's done records for Juno Falls, Dave Kitt and Roesy. He's also the man behind Autamata. I am really happy with how it’s all sounding. When exactly the record will come out is unsure but I will be popping songs from the record up on my-space from time to time just to give people an idea of what to expect. If people check the web site and myspace it will keep them up-dated on the various goings on of the Whitty committee.

For more information please email ianwhitty@ianwhitty.net or log onto www.myspace.com/ianwhitty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

BROWSER STANDARDS ALERT:
Because you are using an outdated browser, you may only view the basic content of this site. In order to view, use, and enjoy this site to the fullest, we strongly recommend upgrading your browser to one that supports web standards such as Mozilla, Netscape 7, Explorer 6 or Safari. Thank you.